Paying It Forward – the Shine Project
The Shine Project is a Pay It Forward option when purchasing a meal at Tailrace Cafe.
By purchasing a meal you can choose to drop a coffee bean into the Shine Project.
Shine is a 8 week program that builds esteem and identity into teenage girls. It is a powerful community based program.
Feedback from some of the girls who were part of the Shine Project in Term 3
- My self-esteem is better
- I have made new friends
- You genuinely care about us and that means a lot
- I know that I am valuable, no matter what anyone else says
- It has actually been the best
- It was really good
- It was great – I loved it!
- It was amazing. I advise an other Shine girls to have the most fun possible, which isn’t hard.
- Absolutely fabulous
- Shine girls is amazing, I had so much fun, I would join again, I loved it
- I know we were disrespectful at time, but you still cared about us and we really respect you
- I love you two!
Shine helps girls to discover
WORTH & SIGNIFICANCE
‘Body and soul, I am marvellously made’
The focus for these sessions is for each participant to understand that they are valuable. Their uniqueness is something to celebrate and they have been wonderfully made.
STRENGTH & RESILIENCE
These sessions explore the power of choice and the power that decisions have on shaping a person’s future. This is addressed through practical sessions about feelings, willpower, resilience, convictions, boundaries and respect.
PURPOSE & COURAGE
‘I have a hope and a future’
Purpose is examined through exploring hopes, dreams and desires. Goal setting, discussions on potential and talents and practical activities are used to equip and build confidence to live out a purpose filled adventurous life. target group
The major objectives of the program include:
- Build confidence and understanding of intrinsic value.
- Develop decision making and problem solving skills.
- Understand they are able to have a positive influence in their world.
- Identify personal desires and strengths to motivate them to set and achieve personal goals.
These programs are not used for clinical intervention purposes.
Background of the Shine program
The SHINE course has been running nationwide since 1997 with over 20,000 individuals impacted in more than 30 nations. SHINE has also previously been translated into 7 languages. There has recently been quantitative empirical evidence with 500 women demonstrating how the course has mobilised women including a longitudinal study. To view the endorsed programs visit the NSW Institute of Group Leaders site (http://www.igl.org.au/endorsement_programs).